15 February, 2008

What and Why Biodynamics?

Biodynamics is not a simple thing to explain, but it is essentially a method of organic agriculture based on the work of Rudolph Steiner and has three key elements:
  1. the farm is run as a sustainable ecosystem in itself
  2. the use of biodynamic preparations which enhance the life forces on the farm
  3. the importance of the soil, sun, moon, planets and constellations on living organisms
Some aspects of biodynamics may seem a bit far out, but I was convinced that I wanted to farm biodynamically when I visited some BD farms in the Hunter. You know when you visit some places and they have a special feel about them? Well the farms I visited had that special feel. And much like the inspiration I found in the mandala garden design, I thought to myself that if I were to farm, that I would like to create a farm that evoked a special feeling in those who visited. (And for those who work there!)

So that was that... I had the land, the opportunity and now I had the design concept and the agricultural practices. So in August 2006, I moved from Sydney to Imago Forest and started to mark out the beds and get the chooks into their domes!

We're very lucky in the Hunter to have one of the strongest BD groups in Australia (Hunter BD) and I would like to thank them for their support and help (especially Mark and Kate from Purple Pear Organics in Maitland).

For more information you can go to wikipedia or try the Biodynamic Association:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodynamic_agriculture
http://www.biodynamics.net.au/what_is_biodynamics.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment