10 April, 2008

No-effort Farming


Fukuoka, a Japanese farmer coined the phrase, "No-Effort Farming". He noticed that rice seeds that germinated on their own and with little/no interference from people tended to grow best. By copying the conditions that these healthy rice plants required he developed a rice ball that he just threw around the paddock which then grew with no-effort.
I've noticed a similar effect in the mandala garden. Because the beds are cultivated by the chickens at most once every six months, the plants have plenty of time to set seed. What I've also noticed is that if I'm a bit late in cultivating then planting my own seeds, an incredible profusion of plants comes up from these dropped seeds already in the ground.
So putting two and two together, I'm going to see what happens if I consciously allow all the beds to go fully to seed, then let the chickens onto them, then not dig for a few weeks and see what comes up. The first couple of beds have produced some magnificent Bok Choy. And I'm excited about a bed of silverbeet on its way.
If it works well consistently, I'm going to have to identify exactly what non-intervention results in the best seed set and germination!

No comments:

Post a Comment