16 May, 2008

Chook Revelations

Aha! was the thought that came to mind following a visit from the vet... It turns out that chickens aren't terribly adaptable when making new friends.
My chickens have good looking combs and wattles, which usually indicates a healthy chook. But they've been pecking each other's feathers out, which i've been told indicates everything from malnutrition to lice to boredom!
I've been conscientiously working away at all these possibilities -- I know it's not malnutrition as they get a premium certified organic feed, it's not lice as there aren't any on them and it's not boredom as they do all the normal things chooks are meant to do and every two weeks get a brand new paddock to play in.
So when the vet said that chooks can't re-establish a new hierarchy after they've established one pecking order, it all made sense.
So, chooks can establish one pecking order in their lifetime. But if they are mixed up after that, they can't establish another one and will constantly peck everybody else in their confusion. Unfortunately, short of killing them, there is nothing that can be done. However I thought it would be worth letting you know as I don't think this is a widely known fact.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very inspiring and helpful. I've been researching permaculture, chooks, yurts and homeschooling for several years and next year will be moving onto my families property to bring all my dreams together and raise my two children authentically. I had not read this fact about chickens having issues with pecking orders after establishment. This has allowed me to solve a potential problem before it exists! thank you.

    ReplyDelete