29 November, 2007

Painting Prefered

By Hannah Parsons


Following one hugely successful week came another week of change and growth down in the garden. Having had the weekend off, relaxing with a couple of Julian’s friends, swimming in the dam and eating far too much, come Monday the Mandala was once again like a new place. Frogs in the ponds, an array of lettuce and beans ready for harvest and our first sunflowers. Beautiful!

This week I’ve been working on my favourite project…road signs for around the property and a huge mandala map. Not having painted for quite a while I had forgotten how much I loved being creative…and getting paint all over me! I have spent as much time on them as humanly possible without neglecting all the other duties on the farm, as I’m pretty sure Julian wouldn’t be too pleased if I just spent time painting away when there were beds to cultivate and plant and propagation to be done!

So of course we’ve both been busy with many other tasks on the farm. Having fallen a little behind with bed planting due to rain last week we’ve been extra busy transplanting our seedlings into beds with our new system of mulching first, then making little holes for individual seedlings to be planted into. It seems to be working well, keeping down unwanted weeds and helping the soil retain some of its moisture in the heat.

We’ve transferred small apple grafts from the mandala down into the orchard, which seem to be getting bigger by the week, and propagated some daisy cuttings for Julian’s cottage garden, which will soon be starting to take shape at the front of the yurt. The only thing I wish is that I would be around to see even more changes take place, but as it’s my last week here next week I’m afraid that I won’t. Looks like I’m going to have to visit next year when everything’s blooming…Julian won’t get rid of me that easily!

So, I’ll finish writing and get back to some work…it’s raining outside…what a shame…that means I’ll have to do some more painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment